Sunday, February 15, 2004

Sorry, Frank, forgive me. You never left.
In fact, you can't. No one will let you.
You'd be happy to know that you are every day here - just as you were either at work or just in the next room.

All things you have given and give has become a parallel existence to what you lead.

Oh, the trouble we've gotten you into!
All the things you make us see clearly, all the people we see you set straight, all our petty temporal and eternal doubts and beliefs daily cast down with your smiling wisdom.

A true sight, we are.
It's one of the most amazing things to me - I've seen and done it so often now-
that moment when the topic of conversation has run its course -
everyone has addressed or chosen not to-
there the subject somehow just hangs -
until the finally uttered
"Frank would just say this...,"

unconsciously everyone pulls closer, literally huddling as if also on the edge of ourselves,
a collective anticipation of grins waiting to hear your words paraphrased,
and then upon delivery, on that last word -
all relax and sit back with its truth as we clearly realize just how trivial it all really was.
Relief, satisfaction, and resignation from your fictional observations reminding us of our bottomless debt of rarely being able to get there sooner if at all.
And that's how it ends.
A reclined circle of kindred souls nodding to each other the unspoken "yeah - that is it."

**
As a person, I live for that moment of attention - to see others really want to hear what I have to say. Everyone does.
As a performer, the same desire is there, but, of course, it's more heightened.
Especially with stand-up since those words are my own.

I remember performing one of my best sets in front of one of the largest audiences I've ever had.
Right in the middle, the microphone shorted out.
Before I realized what had happened, I looked up to see about 100 people rushing the stage.
At first, I thought I had once again said something that pissed off the crowd.
I kept going and realized the mic was dead. Reacting and throwing it down, I kept going.

But I'll never forget that feeling. All those people were running toward me...
just to hear
what I had to say next.

Of course, I know you didn't go anywhere. We won't let you.
So many endings
with us huddling in closer,
just waiting to hear
what you will say next.

******
Very perceptive, that Joel.
A superpower without movement.
Only to find its admirers leaning in themselves for just a taste of its power.
****

Have fun at the pah-tee.
I was actually building a finger of my own, if you weren't going to attend.
After getting the loan denied for all the wood along with the failed zoning restriction petitions, it was just better for us all that you go.
Saves me a lot money, legal trouble, and GPS positioning -
Have fun, you lucky bastard.

We miss you.
We love you.
Deanne






No comments: