Monday, February 23, 2004

Buddha blog:

The 4 noble truths:
I think “craving causes suffering” should come first.
Actually, I think a better starting point precedes even that.
The origin of the craving is where the journey should begin not at the effect.
What causes one to crave – what is the need? An important identification since suffering derives only as an outcome of its pursuit.
An 8 step spiritual program to overcome suffering is great. I can’t say I’m truly familiar with the parallels of the 8 fold and Christian concepts. I do however think that theology as a means of escape is total bullshit as well as one of the major contributions to its longevity.
Knowing that craving causes suffering and then constructing religious atonement around the attempt to transcend that base truth just strikes me as strange. If one is effectively able to escape the suffering then the craving ends? The craving stops because one figures out proper pain management?
Okay, I’m being silly. It’s easy for me to ignorantly knock a process of enlightenment that I will never attempt to venture, and probably not achieve if I gave it a shot.
Of course, no one really wants to suffer, but therein lies another craving, no? There is suffering even at the core of the path to escape it. If one doesn’t succeed, what then? I suppose most don’t start practicing Buddhism with that attitude, but there is an ultimate goal. The state of nothingness is said to be truly accomplished by very few. I would imagine that such a small success rate would breed a little discontent paired with the fact that you are just not trying hard enough. It always trips me out – the notion within religion that there is always going to be someone better at it than you – when it’s YOUR OWN FUCKING BELIEF. No, that has absolutely nothing to do with just being humble. And I’m dropping that ball right now.
I can see where a state of nothingness is appealing. It’s a commendable feat to transcend into a realm of its true comprehension.
Yeah, all this does and will mean nothing.
But I will never stop craving for it not to.

No comments: