Sunday, September 12, 2004

It all goes by so damn fast.
Strange and wonderful overlapping at such speed there’s no time for them to become nostalgia. I wish I could hold them all. I wish I could get them all down.
Life is happening faster than I have the means to record it.
What a fucking surprise, Deanne.

3 decades of repeatedly enjoying the handful of memories they produced,
now reduced to a trinket
by this one year,
this one month,
this day,
right fucking now.
It will take an eternity to smile at them all again just once.

****
We finally gave in and accepted the fact that things will always be insane. We pretty much were expecting that anyway.

We finally gave in and accepted that things probably won’t calm down.
I would add “at least not for awhile,” but neither of us believe that.

There was no basis for expectations.
We just knew there was an adventure goin’ on.

There was no way we could have ever known just how inconceivably many there were.
So much, so muthafuckin' fantastic, so gone too quickly.


I sit here for the brief moment of crickets, sprinklers, cat, and keyboard before the sun will remind me to begin again.

And there he sleeps,
dwarfed by the loveseat.
He sneers quickly at his dream.
No rest even in slumber.

I tell him, “Be happy.

I love you.

You are the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.
Every time I look at you.”

Goodnight.

No comments: